A nine-year-old boy stopped his dad choking to death on cereal using the first aid skills he was taught at school less than 24 hours earlier.
Just the day before, Jack Lowis, from Bishop Auckland, County Durham, had taken a first aid lesson from St John Ambulance .
The very next morning, Jack was forced to keep his cool during the life threatening situation at the breakfast table - delivering the first aid that saved his dad's life.
Jack's dad Keith said once he realised he was starting to choke he began to get anxious.
He said: "I was sat having my breakfast and the next thing you know I realised I had something lodged in my throat.
"I really started panicking"
But Jack knew what to do and started slapping his dad on the back.
The nine-year-old said: "He was coughing really badly, I asked him if he was choking and he nodded.
"In the big first aid lesson we learnt what to do if someone was choking, so I gave him a couple of backslaps."
And it was just when Jack was about to give up that he managed to dislodge the cereal.
Keith said: "Just before he phoned the ambulance he did a couple more slaps on the back and thankfully that is what saved me."
But his son was just glad his dad was safe.
Jack said: "I felt amazing when I knew my dad was going to be okay, because he means everything to me."
The amazing story comes as research shows just 5 percent of adults have the skills and confidence to provide first aid in emergency situations.
Three of the UK’s largest charities are seeking public support for first aid to become a compulsory part of the school curriculum so more children can become lifesavers like Jack. St John Ambulance, The British Red Cross and the British Heart Foundation – who together form the Every Child A Lifesaver Coalition – are calling on people to put pressure on the government and push for first aid skills to be taught in all schools.
Carl Makins, Head of Training at St John Ambulance, said: "Children attend school for more than 1,000 hours a year; we’re asking for just one hour of that curriculum for them to learn first aid skills that will last a lifetime and might one day enable them to be the difference between a life lost and a life saved."
"By taking part in the government’s call for evidence and making first aid a mandatory part of PSHE on the school curriculum, you could help us empower future generations with the simple but vital skills to save someone’s life in an emergency."The Every Child a Lifesaver Coalition is asking teachers, parents, young people, and anyone who feels passionately about getting first aid taught in schools, to take part in the call for evidence."
"It takes less than an hour to learn CPR, so dedicating just one PSHE lesson per year could create a generation of lifesavers."