A quick thinking teenager has been hailed a hero after he saved his grandad’s life when he collapsed with a heart attack. Sixteen-year-old Max Ingham used lifesaving skills he learned at school to help revive his grandad, 74-year-old Peter Bond. He performed CPR for 15 minutes while waiting for paramedics to arrive, who rushed Peter to hospital where tests confirmed he had suffered a heart attack. Hailing his grandson as his hero, Peter said: “My grandson saved my life that day, there is no doubt about that. "He is definitely a hero. “I owe everything to him, I am that proud of him and what he did."

Max sprang into action while having tea with his grandparents one day after finishing work at Burnley Council, where he has just started an apprenticeship with the Green Spaces and Amenities Department. He was there by chance as his parents, Phil and Joanne and sister, Alicia (13) were attending a funeral and Max decided not to go as he did not want to take time off from his new job.

Feeling unwell after a bad chest infection, Peter decided to go for a walk with Max’s pet dog Louis. It is believed the heart attack may have started to happen on the walk but Peter managed to get back to his home in the Briercliffe area of Burnley where he staggered into the back yard and collapsed on the ground unconscious. Alerted by his panic stricken grandma, Anna, Max sprang into hero mode. He said: "I just saw my grandad lying on the ground in the yard and at first I thought he had fallen.

"Me and my grandma rushed outside and realised he had collapsed and wasn't breathing. "He was on his side so I turned him on his back and rang 999. Then I just started to do CPR, it was the first thing that came into my head as I could see he was turning blue." Brave Max kept the compressions going, with step by step advice on his phone from the emergency call operator, and within a few minutes his grandad had started to breathe again and was coming round. Two ambulances arrived and Peter was rushed to the Royal Blackburn Hospital. He had an operation the next day to insert three stents into his heart and now, exactly four weeks after the drama, he is back at home and on the road to recovery.

Max, a talented sportsman who was scouted to play for Lowerhouse Cricket Club, credits his first aid skills to studying GCSE PE at Burnley's Blessed Trinity RC College. He said: "I remember learning about CPR and while a lot of students didn't take much notice because they probably thought they would never need it I tuned in. "But I never expected I would be using it one day." Max's mum, Joanne, who is Peter's daughter, said: "We are all so proud of Max. For someone his age to be so calm and to know what to do in a situation like that is unbelievable because he did save my dad's life. "I think it only hit him what he had done when we went to see my dad in hospital and he was telling everyone how Max had saved his life." Joanne made a special trip to Blessed Trinity to tell staff that the first aid skills he had learned in the classroom had helped him save a life. She added: "I felt they should know because they had taught Max about CPR and it just goes to show how important it is for everyone to have these skills."